Oct 18, 2007

Off the Leash

We have never had a dog like this. Mason is a Golden Retriever who doesn't like to go for walks. I truly think he has agoraphobia. He is afraid of every leaf that falls, every person that walks by, any gust of wind. But, because his desire to be with my husband and me is greater than any of his fears, he will go with us. As we walk the neighborhood, you can sense that he is eagerly looking for the way back home - "is it this house?...is it this house?". We could take the leash off and he would stick close to us, just because he is so afraid of the unknown. There is no fear of him running off. Mind you, previously we have owned an Irish Setter who would scale six foot fences in order to get out into the world and another Golden Retriever who practically ripped your shoulder out of socket with her pulling on the leash. Perhaps it has something to do with Mason being a "rescued dog". We will never know what fears and anxieties he endured as a young puppy that affect him even today. He is terribly afraid of thunder and hides under the bed shaking whenever the slightest rumble occurs.

My husband and I are at a point in our life where the slats have been pulled out from underneath us. His position was scaled back and he needs to look for full time employment elsewhere. It was unexpected and emotionally painful. Thankfully, God's presence through this shaking of the snow globe has been very real and powerful. We know he has shut one door, but we're in that long, dark hallway waiting for another door to open. My fearful dog, Mason, is a good reminder to me. Outside is a scary place for him, but he is happy knowing that he is with us. He knows us well enough to trust us to get him safely home. That's all God asks of us - to be content to walk beside him, trusting that he will guide and direct our paths. We don't need to see the map. He will take care of us. Enjoy his presence, learn from him and give him the glory.

"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6:28-34

2 comments:

Allen said...

So well written. The snow globe has been shaken and it seems as if every day brings a fresh shaking of it. Trusting God is the stability in the midst of it all. Thank you for sharing this

pam said...

I am also walking in that dark hallway...one door closed but a looking foward to the next open one with a sense of joyful curiosity and wonder about what the Lord has in store. I have learned that trust is having faith in the mercy and grace that has already been experienced, the love He has already shown with the promise that He never changes. He has brought me this far, I know He will see me Home. What a comfort. I may not understand at this moment but I look forward to the day I can see more clearly. I already know the pain has led me closer to Him. I understand with more clarity when I read, "His word is a lamp unto my feet". There is only enough light from that lamp to light the path for the next step. I trust that the Lord will never forsake me and is always with me, even in the long dark hallway.